First, verify the LeapReader is fully charged as it will not be able to communicate with the LeapFrog Connect application when the battery is low. The LeapReader is fully charged if the charging indicator light located next to the USB port on the LeapReader glows green when the LeapReader is plugged into the computer. The light will glow amber when the LeapReader is charging, but not fully charged.
If the charging indicator light is glowing green but the LeapReader is not detected by the LeapFrog Connect application, the most likely reason LeapFrog Connect is unable to communicate with your device is a missing or improperly installed driver.
If the LeapReader is plugged into a powered USB port and LeapFrog Connect does not detect the LeapReader, try reinstalling the driver.
Make sure no other devices are connected to USB ports on the computer (except keyboard or mouse), then reinstall the driver with these steps:
1. Close the LeapFrog Connect Application.
2. Quit the monitor:
a. Press Ctl-Alt-Del on your keyboard
b. Select Task Manager
c. Select Processes
d. select Monitor.exe and end process
3. Connect the LeapReader, turn it on, and go to the Device Manager on the computer
a. Right click on My Computer and select "Manage" and select device manager OR click the Windows Start button and type devmgmt.msc into the Search box.
4. In the device manager under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers you should see an item named USB Mass Storage Device.
5. Double click on this device, go to the drivers tab and click uninstall.
6. In the device manager under Disk Drives, you should see an item named LeapFrog LeapReader USB device.
7. Right click on this device and click uninstall.
8. Disconnect the LeapReader
9. Launch LeapFrog Connect and allow the application to finish downloading any updates (shown in the message center).
10. Power on and plug in the LeapReader