Note: The below troubleshooting will address a situation where the LeapPad screens shows the LeapFrog logo when powered on, then the screen goes blank with the LeapPad still powered on.
1. If you haven't already done so, download the LeapFrog Connect application for LeapPad to your PC or Mac from www.leapfrog.com/connect
2. Launch the LeapFrog Connect application on your computer
3. Power on the LeapPad Ultra, then connect it to your computer using the included USB cable
4. Once the LeapPad Ultra is fully connected (messaging in message bar of LeapFrog Connect stops), click the "Settings" tab on the top right corner of the LeapFrog Connect application
5. When the Settings box opens, there should be three tabs: General, Advanced, and LeapPad Ultra
6. On the LeapPad Ultra tab, you should see boxes labeled Reset, Repair, and Check For Updates. Click Repair
7. When the repair completes, disconnect the LeapPad Ultra from the computer
If the above steps did not resolve the issue, power the LeapPad off, then put it into "connection needed" mode with the steps shown here https://leapfrog.happyfox.com/kb/article/49-2365, then sync to the LeapFrog Connect application again.