Note: The below troubleshooting applies to the version of My Pal Scout/Violet that uses a USB cord (rather than audio jack) to connect to the computer.
Please try the following steps:
1. Turn Scout/Violet off and then on using the power button on the paw.
2. Disconnect and then connect the USB cable. (Make sure that other USB devices are disconnected.)
3. Try a different USB port on your computer. You will want to make sure you are connecting the device to the port directly on the machine, and not a port on the keyboard or other hub.
4. Make sure you are using the LeapFrog Connect Application for the Scout/Violet which can be found here: www.leapfrog.com/connect
5. If you have second computer in your household you may want to see if this second computer will recognize the device.
6. If you are using a Windows computer and do not have a second computer available, you may also try reinstalling the Windows driver with the steps here https://leapfrog.happyfox.com/kb/article/42-2809